Recent Posts

July 30, 2008

Meet the Sight Words 1


From Preschool Prep comes a great 40-minute DVD geared for children ages 15 months to 6 years aimed at getting your child interested in learning words. This animated series ($14.95) is a great tool for gearing up for preschool and teaching children words through visuals.
At first glance I was surprised to see that this first DVD in the series of three has over forty-five basic sight words to it. It all seemed a bit overwhelming for a 2 year old. 'Sight Words' are common, every day words that cannot be identified through pictures or from basic decoding rules. The series teaches the alphabet, colors, numbers and shapes in a simple format that children grasp quickly as proof with my daughter. It helped her in a very short time to recognize words by associating them with pictures and I was amazed. The bonus feature illustrates video flashcards and classroom/lesson use which teachers might find helpful too. At forty minutes this DVD kept my child engaged and wanting more.
My child starts preschool in the fall and I am confident that she will be more prepared than ever with the help of this DVD. It's a great tool for children and not just a fun show.
WIN a copy of this great DVD today!! Just email me and be the FIRST one to do so at veamason AT gmail DOT com and I'll ship one out to you.

0 comments: