Recent Posts

January 11, 2012

Marriott Marquis in Downtown San Diego, CA



The Marriott Marquis in downtown San Diego, CA is one of the most convenient hotels in the city.  It is located only five minutes from the city's airport and attached to the convention center.  Right outside the hotel lobby the city by the sea awaits!  Trolley cars go by, the Gaslamp District is within walking distance and the inner harbor is right there to run along, view from your hotel balcony and just soak in.

I stayed at the Marriott Marquis for three days during a very busy conference.  When I arrived I immediately loved the lobby with its light, space and sense of openness and zen. There were more than enough front desk clerks to assist guests and the rather long line went fast.  Fruit-infused water was there while you wait, which after a cross-country plane ride was quite refreshing. 

My room at the Marquis was a good size with a harbor and pool view.  It had all the basics that a two double bed-sized room typically has- desk with chair, flat screen television, ample closet space for two women and a decent amount of bathroom sink counter space.  That last one is something I look for in a hotel room and many places fail.  This 25-story hotel has over 1300 guest rooms that are filled with light.  The linens were white and fluffy and clean.  The whole room and hotel was immaculate and despite the massive number of guests at the time it stayed that way during my entire visit. 

There are a few bars, lounges and restaurants in the Marriott Marquis and here is where I found a weakness.  The service is not up to standard.  On a relatively quiet morning at the pool side bar I was able to enjoy breakfast.  Except the Eco-friendly wooden silverware was flimsy, could not cut my food or even scoop it up to my mouth and looked like something the airlines would try and give you.  My wooden, disposable fork was so tiny it could barely get a teaspoon worth of eggs on to it.  My order came much later than the rest of my table and I had to ask for it twice.  My breakfast burrito was decent but not what one would expect from a Marriott.  I found the same lack luster service and food at DW's Restaurant inside the hotel.  It was quite disappointing. 

A hotel the size of the Marriott Marquis boasts a gorgeous outdoor pool setting with lounge areas and many food and drink options. Heat lamps surround you in the evening and it is quite pleasant.  A fitness center, lobby bar and hotel store offer up good options that are standard for a city hotel of this size and caliber.

While I enjoyed my stay at the Marriott Marquis and found the staff at the front desk and lobby helpful I was not overly impressed with the property as a whole.  It is in a good location, aesthetically pleasing and very clean however so I might stay again and hope for better food service.

MPR Rating:  Three Stars (out of five).  Trip Advisor review gives it four stars.

Disclaimer:  MPR was not paid for this post.  My stay was paid for by me while there on business.  Opinions are MPR's only. 

0 comments: