Recent Posts

May 28, 2010

Tonic Organic Hair Care

Summer is almost here and with it comes a host of outdoor activities in the water and sun. All things that are fun to be sure but can also do a number on your hair.  Tonic Organic Hair Care is a great way to fight those hair stressors because it is specifically made for those who lead active outdoor lifestyles.

My household tried the Leave-In Conditioner, Threesome Tonic and Chronic Tonic.  Developed by surfer Lauren Otonicar these products are organic and environmentally-friendly. Tonic products are completely non-toxic, never tested on animals, and free of parabens and sulfate as well.

My husband found the Threesome Tonic (an all-in-one shampoo, conditioner and body wash) to be minty fresh. It cleaned his hair and body well and left a slight tingly feeling all over.  He smelled minty fresh too.  At $12 for an 8 ounce bottle it is more than he would want to spend on a product and unfortunately the bottle broke apart when he first tried to open it.  It then exploded all over the shower. I know that is not typical, but it was frustrating and it didn't leave a lot of product left for him or I to use.  He thought it cleaned well enough but didn't impress him or I enough to use it again.  Having an all-in-one product is very appealing to some people though and it's worth a try. 

MPR Rating: Three Stars

The Leave-In Conditioner Mist a.k.a. LusterTonic ($14, 8 oz) works great on my daughter's super curly and often dry hair.  It can be applied on wet or dry hair, which I love because it's great for after bath wet hair and then refreshes her hair while moisturizing and detangling the next day when it is dry.  What I found so amazing about this particular leave-in conditioner is how fast it worked as a detangler in her dry hair.  It sprays out in a mist that is quite visible on the hair.  Yet, I could quickly comb through her hair with incredible ease in ways I have never been able to do with her other detanglers.  There were less tears too. Who isn't a fan of that?

MPR Rating:  Five Stars

Tonic's ChronicTonic Conditioner ($14, 8 oz, shampoo is the same price) actually showed results on my color-treated hair the first time I used it.  I was in desperate need of a hair cut and used the ChronicTonic daily instead of my normal organic conditioner.  It's thick enough to hold onto my hair and fortify it but lightweight enough that it rinses clean without leaving a residue.  My hair, which is fine, was easy to comb through and always blew dry shiny and smooth in a way my other green conditioner failed in.  I was quite pleased and a bit surprised.  It really does work well on stressed, beaten-down hair.  I now use it daily with a break for a deep conditioning mask twice a week and have noticed a difference in the texture of my fine hair.  Bring it on summer! I dare you to mess with my locks now. 

MPR Rating: Five Stars

Tonic Organic products are available online at the company's website

Disclaimer:  MPR was not paid for this post.  All products received are for testing purposes only.    Opinions displayed in the review are MPR's only.

0 comments: