Recent Posts

December 29, 2009

Duncan Hines Muffin Mixes

I love to bake. The whole process of baking, whether it is pizza dough, cupcakes, cookies, breads or muffins makes me happy.  I am a baker at heart. Duncan Hines sent me two types of muffins to bake up and test out with my family and friends. I already love DH products - their cake mixes kick the others to the curb. They are always moist and full of flavor no matter which type you use.



First, we made the Apple Cinnamon muffins with Oatmeal Granola topping. The Apple Cinnamon mix is part of Duncan Hines premium muffin mix line, meaning that they have zero Trans fat and are 100% whole grain. These muffins mix up easily and my four-year-old enjoyed sprinkling the oatmeal granola topping on them before they went into the oven. Like other mixes, the recipe is easy to follow and making the muffins is effortless. The Apple Cinnamon version baked up nice, fat, and stayed moist. My whole family loved them and they were gone within a day or two. There are four grams of protein per muffin too, which is impressive for a muffin. I did not feel as bad as I normally would about giving my kids a muffin for breakfast. The Apple Cinnamon muffins make a great snack too. My only issue with this particular muffin mix is that the cinnamon was less sweet and a bit stronger than I would have liked. That is a personal preference though so I cannot really count it against the muffin or Duncan Hines.


Next, we baked a batch of Duncan Hines Triple Chocolate Chunk muffins. Again, these are 100% whole grain with zero Trans fat. Like the first batch, these muffins are part of Duncan Hines premium line and are easy to make and to eat. They are super moist, rich in flavor and look fantastic. The Triple Chocolate Chunk has more fat, about 11 grams, but that is to be expected. They have a nice glossy finish and the chocolate chunks melt in your mouth every time. We took some to a lunch/playdate and they were a big hit.

Duncan Hines products are great for baking in a pinch. The flavor and quality is always there. In fact, I made a Devil's Food cake this past Christmas and everyone thought it was a homemade recipe. The muffins fall into this same category. The DH website has a wealth of nutrition and recipe information too. I was quite impressed and it made me want to start baking all over again!

Duncan Hines mixes are available nationwide at grocery stores and discount store everywhere.

MPR Rating:  Four Stars.
 
Disclaimer: MPR was not paid for this posting. Products were received and kept for testing purposes. The opinions in this review are solely my own.

0 comments: