Recent Posts

February 4, 2008

A Steeped Review- Dr. Ukra's Tea Diet


I do not “do” diets. I am one of those annoying people who believe in eating less and exercising more in order to achieve the results in weight loss that you want. Until a few years ago, I was a tea drinker. Then I had a kid. While the tea to coffee ratio is still about 8:2 in my kitchen cabinets, I now own two different coffee makers and a French press. The coffee moves, man, it moves. It does not sit and hang out the way the tea bags do. I have heard rumors though that coffee aids and abets fat cells in your body so I decided to try Dr. Ukra’s ‘Ultimate Tea Diet’ when PBN presented it to me and give tea a second chance.

First, I glanced through the book taking note that what I possess in my house for tea was fine unless I wanted to get adventurous. The premise is quite simple. Eliminate junk food. When you crave a snack or a food that is your weakness craving, have some tea instead. Dr. Ukra, who runs the Tea Garden, offers up a breif history of teas, the different varieties and a quick test to see which types of teas you might favor. It was very educational and a bit fun, I must admit. I learned that steeping tea bags for a bit and then dumping out the first round of liquid gets rid of the caffeine and I was able to function on a more rational level after that.

I decided to give myself three weeks with this tea regime and see what happened. The first few days I kept forgetting to go to the tea instead of the Ritter Sport Butter Biscuit. I kept the book handy and kept reading passages of it to keep it in the forefront of my mind. Soon I found I was consuming only one cup of coffee a day (taking away one cup as Dr. Ukra suggests) and drinking about four to five cups of tea during my daily routine. I filled my water bottle with strawberry kiwi tea to drink throughout the day and felt cleansed. Tea is a natural diuretic and I noticed after about three days of this I had no bloat left in my body. I lost a pound too. I kept this up for another week and noticed that my stomach was still flat and my pants fit better. While I did not seem to lose any more weight, I noticed I was snacking a lot less and consuming less food in general. I was literally too full of tea for anything else!

Now in my third week, I cannot say I have lost more weight. I have not. However, I am not bloated and I do seem to have more energy. I look and feel as if I've lost five pounds though. I have reacquainted myself with the tea in my home and weaned myself off the coffee IV drip I was toting around the house. I can only see that as a good thing. I think if I had spent more time creating some of the meals from “dr.tea’s” menus, it would have helped me lose more weight. I am keeping this book handy for the future when I can get my family on board and I have the time to devote to constructing such meals. In the meantime, I say try this book. It is sensible and not about deprivation. It has a lot of valuable information and you will certainly learn a lot about types of tea, making it and its benefits. Tea is in fact, quite good for you and I am happy that I tried this book.


I am giving away a copy of ‘The Ultimate Tea Diet’ by Mark “dr. tea” Ukra to one lucky reader. First person who emails me at veamason at gmail dot com will get it!

2 comments:

LadyAsh said...

Sounds like a great book for someone like me who needs to snack less and fill up on better liquids.

Lauren said...

Mmm...Ritter Sport...

Oh, we're talking about diets, aren't we?

I don't like tea, but I bet I could apply this using water and definitely be healthier for it.