Recent Posts

January 9, 2008

Sonicare Essence 5300 Toothbrush- It Scares Me


I have owned an electric toothbrush for years (Oral B) and I love it. However, I'm not above trying out spankin' new versions of products, especially if they are free, and testing them out. If another brand is better, I will switch. While I love my Oral B it is a few years old and technology has come along way. What do I have to lose?

The Sonicare Essence 5300 promises -

Patented sonic technology

Recharge indicator : indicates charge level so you know when to re-charge

Smartimer : automatically shuts off after 2-minute dental recommended brushing time

Easy-start : lets new users acclimate to the Sonicare experience

Extra gentle bristle design

They should warn you about the noise though. The noise that can be heard two flights down. The noise that will scare your spouse and the vibrating that is so jarring you don't even want to hold onto the handle of this toothbrush. I tried. I really did. On many separate occasions I swallowed my fear and turned this toothbrush on again and again. Only to drop it in the sink afraid for my life. OK. Maybe not my life but the handle vibrates a considerable amount to the point that I was uncomfortable holding it. The head of the toothbrush rotates so fast and vigorously that I couldn't stand it. I don't have sensitive teeth either. I decided I needed a second opinion. I gave the 5300 to my husband.

This man is not afraid of very much. He owns both an electric and a shall we say, 'classic style' toothbrush. He gave the Essence a whirl. He threw it down in under a minute. He hated it. He claims that it it too loud, vibrates too much and can't clean your teeth very well because who wants to deal with all that racket and vibration? Neither of us.

The Sonicare Essence 5300 ($94.99)was a failure in our house. Perhaps if you like something akin to a jackhammer pulsing away at your teeth you will like the 5300. If so, click here for more information about the Essence and the rest of Sonicare's oral lines. It is too bad too because I really wanted to like this expensive toothbrush. I really did. I wanted Sonicare to convert me. Instead, my spouse and I chase each other around the house with this scary gadget scaring the living daylights out of each other.

0 comments: