Recent Posts

June 27, 2011

The Dearborn Inn, Michigan





The Dearborn Inn in Michigan is a Marriott-owned property that is located close to the Detroit Metropolitan airport, downtown Detroit and the Ford museum, plant and surrounding buildings. It sits on 23 beautiful acres and is on the National Historic Preservation hotel list. The site (built in 1931) has a lounge, guest services center, fitness room, pool, and a restaurant called Edison's.


There is definitely charm and an early 20th Century appeal about The Dearborn Inn. You immediately think of Model A Ford’s driving by, fresh, green gardens and sparkling chandeliers when you enter the hotel. In fact, there are plenty of gardens to roam at the inn and chandeliers to gaze at as you peruse the grounds.

*My room really did look like this.

Despite the Dearborn being an older hotel it still has modern amenities. My room with its king-sized bed had thick fluffy pillows and ample blankets. It was very comfortable and I slept well. A cozy, stuffed chair and ottoman were in one corner and a flat screen TV graced the small dresser top. A real closet with a full sized ironing board and iron were located inside. The desk space was a good size and for once this hotel, a historic one of all places, had more than enough plugs to accept and charge all my gadgets. Huzzah! The only problem was that Internet access was spotty and slow the whole time I stayed there. I definitely felt that I had enough room to put out all my stuff but I disliked the set up in the bathroom. A wooden shelving system was quaint and pretty but it had space issues. It was the only place for towels, extra toilet paper, the hotel toiletries and water glasses. I had to do quite a bit of shifting around to accommodate my toiletry bag and it was not until I did some digging throughout the room that I located the hair dryer in the closet. The towels are a nice size. They are not quite bath sheets but bigger than many hotels standard towels. Fluffy and soft is not on the menu, sadly. I expected more from a Marriott-owned property in that department.

I dined at Edison's, the hotel restaurant while there. Located in a bright, airy dining room with high ceilings I felt transported to another age. Tinkling glass and starched linens awaited me. The turkey burger with brie was juicy and delicious as were the homemade potato chips that accompanied it. The staff was attentive and it was a good meal.

The staff at The Dearborn Inn was great. When someone tried to enter my room and every other room on my floor at one in the morning they quickly and quietly took care of the problem. My room was cleaned in a timely manner and each staff member was quiet and unobtrusive which I rather enjoy. It definitely made me feel as if I was further embedded in a bygone era.

The Dearborn Inn is a nice place to stay if you are in the Dearborn, Michigan area. Rates are comparable and the service was good. I would stay there again if in the area. I just hope they get their Internet issue resolved as I heard more than one guest grumbling about it while I was there.

MPR Rating: Four Stars.

Disclaimer: MPR was not paid for this post. The hotel was reviewed while in the Dearborn area on business. Opinions are MPR's only.

0 comments: