Recent Posts

January 26, 2011

No Wallflowers for Ford Just Butterflies

Here in the Washington metro area it is DC Auto Show Week.  Two weeks ago it was the Detroit Auto Show and while I cannot attend my own home town's show I did get to cruise around the auto show floor in Detroit, courtesy of the Ford Motor Company


The car and truck of the year were announced here and many automakers unveiled hybrids and other vehicles to woo and entice a green consumer.  From Lexus to Chevy and more everyone it seems was going green.  The Ford company was especially intent on this mission and it was equally clear that this Ford, One Ford, is not the same set of cars and trucks that we have known from the last few decades.  No, this is a fresh start for Ford and it is a good one.

A few months ago I reviewed the Ford Flex Titanium, a car I was determined to hate.  Instead, I fell in love and did not to hand over the keys.  The Flex contains EcoBoost, a technology that is designed to deliver power and torque that is consistent with larger displacement, naturally aspirated engines.  It gives about 20% better fuel efficiency and reduces the engines greenhouse emissions by about 15%.   Ford has loaded EcoBoost into its new Explorer as well. This by the way was the Truck of the Year.  It is roomy like the Flex and offers MyFord Touch and SYNC like the other new Ford vehicles do as well.  Did I mention that the new versions of these cars are chocked full of amazing technology?  They are loaded with integrated communication and entertainment systems that keep you connected and safe while you drive.  I found both very intuitive and not distracting.

Watch the video below for a real compact rundown of Ford's quest and implementation of One Ford and some butterflies.  Oooh, pretty butterflies...



In all, I was quite impressed with the strides Ford has made as a company.  They are no longer going to be pushed off the road or left idling.  Each car from the Explorer, Focus, Fiesta, Fusion and Escape Hybrid are streamlined, more luxurious, high tech and more solidly built than they have been in a long time.  Their global vision and mission to promote a brand that is in step with the consumer needs for a higher quality vehicle for their money, Hybrids and EV's, as well as better fuel efficiency is now in full effect.  Consider me stunned and converted.  For now.



Disclosure:  Ford Motor Company paid for my travel and accommodations at the 2-day Driving Green Technology event, I was not compensated in any other manner for my time.  My opinions posted here are my own. 

Image from uncrate.com

0 comments: