Recent Posts

March 8, 2010

Red Baron Fire Baked Pizza

Red Baron pizza- I think the first time I tasted it I was a kid. It was one of the first frozen pizzas on the market and my mother would buy it for when I had a babysitter. Red Baron has come a long way since its first ventures in frozen pizza. Now, it seeks to recreate the Italian technique of baking a pizza on hot stones next to an open flame in an 800° oven. By doing this you create a better flavor and texture. The pizza is tender on the inside and crispy on the bottom. Red Baron uses 100% real cheese, a somewhat zesty sauce and the toppings are a combination of vegetables and fine meats.


I received a few coupons to try the different pizza varieties out with my family. There are five flavors in all- Pepperoni, 4-Cheese, Supreme, Italian Style Meat-Trio and Roasted Vegetable. It is available in a family size (the type we tested) and in single servings. Single servings have added flavors of Salami and Mushroom and Sausage as well. When I went to my local grocery store, I found only two flavors. I searched other stores as well and was confronted with the same problem. I guess Virginians only like Pepperoni and 4-Cheese? We have a family tradition of having pizza with our kids on Friday nights along with a family movie so adding in the Red Baron one Friday was no big deal. My husband and I found that it tastes better and fresher than the pizza we remembered as kids. That frozen taste is largely gone.  The family size was a bit small for four of us so I am glad I had two pizzas to serve. It does cook up crispy on the bottom and soft on the inside and it is not a thick style pizza like some other frozen varieties. Red Baron does make a pan pizza style too.  The fire-baked is still a thin crust. The cheese amount was sufficient, as were the rest of the toppings and they tasted fine.

Overall, I think that Red Baron pizza is good. It is not going to blow your mind but it works in a pinch for dinner or a snack. The taste is much better than it used to be and the toppings are in good supply too. It is still perfect for the babysitter and kid combo as well as for family pizza night.


MPR Rating:  Three Stars. 

Disclaimer: MPR was not paid for this posting. Products were received and kept for testing purposes. The opinions in this review are solely my own.

Visit my other blog, The Mummy Chronicles for even more opinions. 

0 comments: