Recent Posts

November 6, 2009

Leapfrog's Tag - Learn to Read Gift Pack


Tag's Reading System by Leapfrog is one of the best educational toys that I have had the privilege to review. When we received the 'Learn to Read' series Gift Pack ($39.98) I was excited for my daughter and for me. We are just on the verge of her becoming a reader and this set came just in time.

The Gift Pack consists of two book sets- short vowels and long vowels, which includes silent 'E' and 'Y'. Each set has six books which "help children identify letter sounds and understand how the sounds come together to form words". Many times when we receive products like this I have high hopes and I will see tiny results that keep the hope alive. Then the toy is discarded rather quickly as my daughter grows bored with it and we are done. I think it is because so many of these 'learn to read' toys and systems are largely one dimensional.


That is not the case with the Tag Reading System. The easy to hold pen and small books are perfect for children ages 4-7 years. She loves all the stories and wants to read them repeatedly. They hold "secrets" on each page she says and finds them as the pen glides over the pages. She's proud of the fact that she can now "read" with the pen too. The more she uses it, and that pen plus books go everywhere the last few months (yes, I said months), the more strides I see in her actual reading skills. She has begun to sound out words, ask questions and go slow. Before we began working with the Reading System's gift pack set I had a hard time engaging her for long periods of time and explaining the fundamentals of reading. She just wanted to get it over with. For the first time I feel like we are making actual strides and seeing results and we are both having fun.

The Leapfrog Tag Reading System Gift Pack is available online (with free shipping!), at Amazon.com and toy stores nationwide.

MPR Rating: Five Stars.

Disclaimer: MPR was not paid for this posting. Products were received and kept for testing purposes. The opinions in this review are solely my own.

0 comments: