Recent Posts

August 12, 2009

CBS Fall Shows- The Good Wife and Accidentally on Purpose

Recently I received a screener of some new CBS Fall shows. Being the TV junkie that I am I could not wait to hit the play button on my DVD player and critique away.

First up is the drama 'The Good Wife' starring Emmy award winner Juliana Marguiles. In it she plays Alicia Florrick, a wife and mother who must assume total responsibility for her family and re-enter the workforce after her husband's (Sex and the City's Chris Noth) very public sex and political corruption scandal lands him in jail. Alicia starts anew by pursuing her original career as a defense attorney. She must transform herself from embarrassed politician's wife to career woman all while balancing her private life too. Episodes will showcase her struggle as she tries to find balance and fulfillment in this new identity.



At first I found I couldn't get into 'The Good Wife'. I am not a big Marguiles fan but I do love Chris Noth from his 'Law and Order' days. However, after about twenty minutes I found myself engrossed in the show and the various plot lines that will unravel throughout the season. Every woman wonders how she will react if she were thrown into a situation such as 'The Good Wife'. Watching Marguiles on screen I began to fall in love with her character more and more. The acting is solid and not over the top. It's a quiet drama that will hopefully find a decent audience. By the end of the first episode I was eager for more as was my husband. We were pleasantly surprised by 'The Good Wife' and it's cast of exceptional actors.

Next up is 'Accidentally on Purpose' a comedy starring Jenna Elfman (Billie) and Grant Show (James). Elfman plays "a single woman who finds herself "accidentally" pregnant after a one-night stand with a much younger guy, and decides to keep the baby… and the guy. A newspaper film critic, Billie is barely surviving a humiliating breakup with her charming boss, James, who's still trying to resume their relationship."



Truthfully, I didn't hold out a lot of hope for this show. I am not a fan of the traditional sitcom style television. The laugh track, the tired jokes and situations just make me yawn. I like quirky and not Jenna Elfman quirky. She's more ... zany. Five minutes in though I found myself laughing out loud. And it just kept happening. While the first few minutes of the show to 'Accidentally On Purpose' didn't grab me the rest of the first episode did. It's sweet, funny and charming. The cast gels well together and I am anxious to see how the unusual storyline progresses.

CBS will also be featuring 'Medium' from now on. More on that in the future. I highly suggest checking out both 'The Good Wife and 'Accidentally on Purpose'. CBS is making a name for themselves once again. They are the network to contend with hits like 'How I Met Your Mother' and 'The Big Bang Theory' now despite the state of CSI: Las Vegas.

0 comments: